Thursday, May 8, 2008

Extreme Makeover UPDATE...

Last Friday and Saturday was a HUGE step forward for our church. The people at Dahlonega Assembly of God came together to give our church a much needed EXTREME MAKEOVER! It was so amazing watching everyone work together. Exactly when I got to the church on Friday morning no one was there yet and I kind of freaked out. I was getting worried that people were either going to forget about it or not really care. I started to think to myself that maybe I pushed the people to hard. After my whining session I grabbed a paint brush and a gallon of paint and went to work. I knew that this EXTREME MAKEOVER was a God thing and since it was a God thing He would bring the people to complete this audacious task. Two hours later the first couple of people showed up and then from that point it was a steady stream of people coming and going.

Before I go on I have to say our church looks awesome! If you ever have an opportunity to join us for a Sunday morning service you got to check it out for yourself. I am SO proud of all of our DAGer's that helped out that weekend. Whether you painted, power washed, cleaned, constructed, cooked or brought food, or bought supplies or picked up supplies THANK YOU SO MUCH!

It was so much fun hanging out with all the people that were there. There's nothing like a makeover project to get the conversations going. It's amazing how paint brushes and paint get people talking. Maybe it's the fumes from the paint...JUST JOKING! Seriously, I learned so much during our makeover weekend. Some people shared some happy stories, while others shared some sad moments in their lives, while others shared their dreams and goals. Honestly, this is why I was so excited about this weekend. My prayer was that sometime during the day I would gain access to people's hearts. I heard someone say one time, "people don't care how much you know until they know that you care."

My desire is that the people at Dahlonega Assembly will experience the life that Jesus talks about in John 10:10 "a FULL life." The ONLY way to experience that life is to have a relationship with Jesus and to read His Word. I know that not the popular thing to say and sounds very churchy but it's the truth. The reality is if I never connect to the people at our church on a real, transparent, authentic level they are never going to care about what I have to say about Jesus or the Bible. In others "they don't care how much I know until they know that I care."

Like I said earlier I am very proud of our church family for all of their hard work during our EXTREME MAKEOVER. But that weekend was more than slapping some paint on the walls, cleaning, and power washing the building it was about PEOPLE. It was about people coming together, doing life together, and growing together. It was about a group of people making over an old building while they developed new lifelong relationships. Finally, it was a Pastor getting to know the hearts of an amazing group of people and thanking God for the opportunity to serve this community. I seriously could go on forever about how amazing our EXTREME MAKEOVER weekend was but I think you got the idea.

No comments: