Tuesday, March 18, 2008

BECOMING a Senior Pastor ONE YEAR LATER...

It's almost been about a month since I have blogged. Honesty, I have wanted to but life has been a little crazy these last several months. Let me bring you up to date. On Sunday March 16 at 12:30pm we received a call that changed our life and ministry forever. One of the Deacons from Dahlonega Assembly of God called to informed us that the church took a veto and vetoed in favor of my wife and I become their new Senior Pastors! To appreciate the magnitude of this announcement I got to take you back ONE YEAR AGO.
Approximately a year ago I was attending my last Easter service at the church I had served as a youth pastor for 4 1/2 years. Months before that Easter service the Lord began to stir our hearts about planting a church that would reach disconnected people and reinspire the connected. Being raised in the church all of my life I have seen these people from both of these groups leave the church and never return.

So for the last year I have been meeting Pastors, visiting churches, and attending conferences that are reaching disconnected people and reinspiring the connected. It has been an amazing journey! I have met so many amazing people and have learned so much in one year. When I started this season of my life I had no idea where this journey was going to lead me and my family...until recently.

When I started this journey I believed that we were going to plant a church so we started to prepare to become church planters. But in December the Lord asked me if I was willing to take something old and make it new. Not having any idea what He was talking about I said yes...I was willing to do anything for Him. So throughout December that seem to be my conversation with God. A few days before Christmas I received a call from a friend of mine that asked me if I was still interested in Pastoring. I told him yes he then started to tell me about a church in Dahlonega Georgia where his dad was temporarily overseeing the church until the church got a new Senior Pastor.

Got to be honest...at first I was not interested in taking over some "old" church. Growing up in church I have seen how ugly these situations can get or maybe it was because I was hanging out with so many church planters who have stated that they would rather plant 10 churches then take some "old" existing church. In the middle of that thought the Lord reminded me that I said yes to taking something "old" and making it new. So I told my friend that I would meet with his dad. Well to make a long story short, after meeting with the temp. Pastor, the church board, and preaching at the church a couple of times last Sunday the congregation at Dahlonega Assembly of God vetoed 100% in favor asking us to be their new Senior Pastors.
It is amazing how in one year life changes. As I think about how one year ago I thought I had a good plan for our future. God reminds me that He doesn't want me to be satisfied with good but wants me to have His GREAT PLAN! I can't wait to see what happens at Dahlonega AG. DAGer's get ready we are going to turn things upside down in Dahlonega and all of North Georgia!

1 comment:

Ross Wiseman said...

Man we believe in you and know God has great things in store for DAG.

-ross and your friends at embassy metro church.