Saturday, August 9, 2008

ReThink Money WAS A SUCCESS!

ReThink Money LIVE was a huge success this morning! I got to admit I was a little nervous because I was going to have to "really" take a look at our finances. For some people this isn't a big deal but if you're like me this is a very scary thing. It's not like I'm totally ignorant of our finances but before today I usually felt overwhelmed, confused, and very stupid. The truth is I have always been intimidated by numbers.

As far back as I could remember numbers and I have never been friends. It wasn't until college that I discovered that I had a learning disability. So naturally I milked my learning disability for all it was worth. I did everything in my ability NOT to have to deal with numbers. When I got married I didn't have a problem when my wife started to handle the check book...it worked for me. For years I was content with this arrangement...until today.

Today, I learned that WE can and will get out of debt sooner than we thought! I also learned that I have to be part of the process in order for this to happen. I don't know about you but that turns my crank! Casey Graham from ReThink Money did an amazing job explaining to me, my wife, and our church why we should get out of debt and how to get out of debt. Here's the best part I actually understood what he was saying!!! No joke I almost started to cry because I could understand how to get out of debt.

The other best part of today was I got to see the faces of the folks that were there realizing that there was a light at the end of the tunnel. For most people when you are struggling with debt you feel like you're drowning and that there is no way out of your situation. Not for the DAGer's that were there today! Sure they walked in a little nervous and maybe a little embarrassed but they walked out with their heads held high, a spending plan in their hands, and excited about their debt free future.

Today marks a new day for my household and our church family. We are determined to be debt free so that we can do what God has called us to do in our families, church, community, and the world.

Casey thank you so much for being faithful to the call that God has placed on your life. God used you to bring much needed HOPE in our lives this morning. I can't wait to see and hear how this weekend changed the lives here at Dahlonega Assembly. I pray that we will continue to partner together so lives can continue to be changed at DAG and all of North Georgia!

No comments: