Monday, July 30, 2007

Daddy University Lesson #2 - Pain is Temporary

My son is two months old today! Becoming parents has totally changed our lives. Honestly I never thought I could ever express or feel this kind of love for any one. Every time I look at my son, it's crazy, I turn into putty. Anyway today we had to take him to the doctors. I have been dreading this date because this is his two month check-up...in other words SHOT DAY!

I hate shots. I remember as a child my mom and nurses holding me down so the doctor could prick my finger. Seriously I hate shots!!! As we drove to the doctors I prayed that I would have enough self-control to not drop kick the doctor when she gives my boy those freakin' shots. I think the hardest part of today's doctors visit was the wait. Of course my son had no idea what was going on but we did. We knew when those needles went in he was going to scream his lungs out and there was nothing we could do about it. I knew once it was over it was over and the pain would eventually go away. But as a daddy I want to protect my family at all cost.

I guess the Daddy Lesson that I learned today was that there will be moments in life where the wait will seem tough, painful, and overwhelming but once the wait is over it's over. After the shots were done and the screaming stopped all my son needed was to be loved on by his mommy and daddy.

So the next time you feel overwhelmed remember it's only temporarily and at the end I promise that if you reach out to our heavenly daddy He will reach out to you.

No comments: