Tuesday, July 31, 2007

the life of a bi-vocational pastor - pt. 1

Since Easter I has literally been jobless. That doesn't mean I have been lazy...I have applied at many places but every time I think it would be a great job the door slams in my face. For instances...

TRUE STORY: HAND TO GOD...
I love eating at Chili's. When I worked at the church Chili's was my second office. It's funny because I knew almost every employee at Chili's including the table numbers. I know pretty sad...whatever. Anyway so when I was looking for a job I thought I could totally work at Chili's I knew the menu and the managers and the employee it would be perfect. So I applied, took the personality test and scheduled an interview. Two days later I was went back for the interview. The general manager didn't know about the interview so he asked me if I could come back the following day. As I walked out I said to the Lord if the manager calls me tomorrow to cancel I will know that You don't want me to work there. The following day 45 minutes before the scheduled interview the general manager called to cancel our interview. He said that he was feeling well so he was going home. Immediately I remembered the conversation I had with the Lord the day before. The manager wanted me to come by on Monday I told him that I would think about it.
All weekend I prayed and asked God if He really didn't want me to work there. I tried rationalize why I should to work there. Quick money, I knew the managers and the employees, then I got spiritual...I could be a witness. So on Monday I got in my Jeep and headed to Chili's.

Before I tell you what happened next you need to know that I had just drove my Jeep from Minnesota to Georgia two weeks before.

Anyway, I was on my way to Chili's knowing that God didn't want me to work there when all of a sudden my engine shut off. Immediately I knew what just happened. I don't know if you believe God can work like this but I do. Sitting on the side of the road I decided to have another conversation with God and first apologize to Him and told Him I would definitely would work at Chili's. After 20 minutes I turned the keys and the car turned on. I told my father-in-law what happened and he told me to get it checked out. I told him that I knew what happened God made it very clear that He didn't want me to work there. But he insisted that I get it checked out and guess what...the mechanic couldn't find anything wrong with the car.

I honestly believe with all my heart that if we totally trust God with everything...money, food, car, home, jobs, family, He will never disappoint us. I can't wait to tell you the rest of the adventure tomorrow.

No comments: