Tuesday, April 1, 2008

21/21 CHALLENGE!!!

On Sunday I started my very first series at our church, Building onto the Legacy. I thought it would be really important for me to communicate to the people of the church that my goal was not to come in and CHANGE everything right away. I realized that is a fear especially when the church has been around for a while. I shared with some of the leadership that my goal was to come in and listen, watch, and learn for the next couple of months. I told them that my wife and I didn't want to come in and destroy the legacy of the church. We exactly wanted to learn and build onto the legacy of the church and take it to the next level. So as I prepared for Sunday morning I wanted to give them a clear picture of how we were going to start our new relationship as Senior Pastors and church and how we were going to complete our new mission, vision, and purpose.

"Building onto the Legacy" I could have gone so many different direction with a series like this but I wanted to keep in simple and applicable. In Matthew 7:46-49 Jesus shared this amazing and simple illustration about building a house. I shared with my church that Jesus give us a blueprint how to build our house on the right foundation.

"I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock."

Jesus made it very clear that when we heard his word and took it and applied into our lives that no matter how big the tsunami was that we would survive it. There's this saying "we are either one of three stages of life, you're either entering a storm, you're in the middle of the storm, or you're exiting a storm." I told my church that as we move forward we will face storms as a church and in our families but if we hear and "COPY THE BLUEPRINTS" Jesus gave us we will successful in the begin, middle, and end of the storm.

I closed my sermon with the 21/21 Challenge. I told them that if they would copy the blueprints (read the Bible) for the next 21 days for 21 minutes and apply it to their life that they would begin to see God's Word change their lives. Simple I know but that's how simple it is.

This morning I had a woman from our church call me and tell me that her husband has been reading his bible for the last two days!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT GOD DOES WITH OUR CHURCH!

No comments: